Late on Monday evening, actor Aamir Khan’s TV show set, that was erected at Vrindavan Studios, Madh Island, caught fire.
According to eyewitnesses, an electrical spark, caused by a short circuit, was the reason for the fire that broke out in one corner of the studio and within minutes had spread. Not only the set but also shooting equipment worth crores was gutted.
Fortunately, the Bollywood star who is producing and anchoring the show, wasn’t on the sets at the time of the mishap.
Sources close to Aamir Khan Productions reveal that earlier in the evening, the show’s crew and a couple of production hands from the channel had been to the sets for a reiki.
There were only 20-30 people on the floor at the time, working on the lights and the final touch-up of the sets. Suddenly, one of the crew members spotted a spark but before anyone could react, it had turned into an uncontrollable blaze that spread through the place, charring wires and extension cables.
Fortunately, since there weren’t too many people around at the time, there were no casualties. In fact, no injuries were reported and everyone is safe. Six fire brigades were at the studio trying to bring the fire under control.
Towards the end of the week, another set of crewmembers will be visiting the sets to take stock of the situation. Once they have surveyed the damages, reconstruction work will start soon so the yet-to-be-titled show can start rolling.
The spokesperson from Aamir Khan Productions, in an email, states, “It’s an extremely unfortunate incident. We were really lucky that none of our unit members was hurt in the accident.”
The spokesperson from Star Plus, the show’s broadcaster, says, “We had taken ample safety precautions but the fire still occurred. Thankfully, it was brought under control immediately and no injuries were reported.”