In a U-turn, Mumbai Police said late on Friday that it has not truncated Aamir Khan and Shah Rukh Khan’s security. The denial came within hours of the news that the two Khans will get only two armed policemen working in two shifts assigned to them. The decision was taken after a routine review, the police had said.
However, the police said Shah Rukh and Aamir continue to enjoy the same level of security as before. “Review of security is a routine exercise. Security of any specific actor has not been downgraded or increased,” said DCP (detection) Dhananjay Kulkarni.
Aamir, meanwhile, welcomed any move to scale down his security saying “the police personnel can be put to better use in securing the city.” Shah Rukh and Aamir were provided additional security in the wake of their comments on perceived intolerance in the country.
According to police, Shah Rukh started getting threats after the release of his film My Name is Khan. In January 2013, some groups had made statements after the Pakistan-based terrorist Hafiz Saeed’s offer of asylum for the actor in Pakistan if he felt insecure in India. An article written by Shah Rukh where he spoke of being a soft target for the right wing, and the need for him to always prove his patriotism, also led to hostile comments and some threats.
Aamir Khan’s security detail was increased after the release of his movie PK last year. The actor had allegedly got extortion calls from a gangster last year. Aamir Khan, in a Facebook post, said “I completely endorse the move by the Mumbai Police to reduce the security around me. The police personnel can be put to better use in securing the city. If and when the Mumbai Police feel the need to increase my security, they will. I trust them completely.”