A host of award-winning films from overseas to be screened at MAMI Film Festival this year.bollywood Updated: Sep 27, 2010 13:35 IST
The eight-day MAMI (Mumbai Academy of Moving Images) Film Festival, initiated by Reliance Big Entertainment, that flags off on October 21 and turns 12 this year, is expected to screen several award-winning international films.
Among the foremost are Xavier Beauvois’ Of Gods And Men (Des Hommes Et Des Dieux), Mahamat-Saleh Haroun’s A Screaming Man (Un Homme Qui Crie), On Tour (Tournée), and Lee Chang-Dong’s Poetry.
Semih Kaplanoglu’s Honey (Bal), which won the Golden Bear Award at Berlinale and Li Hongqi’s Winter Vacation, which won the top prize at Locarno Film Festival this year, will also be screened at the festival.
Abbas Kiarostami’s Certified Copy (Copie Conforme) for which Kuliette Binoche won the Best Actress Award at Cannes, Alexei Popogrebsky’s How I Ended This Summer (Kak Ya Provel Etim Letom) which won the Silver Bear for Best Actor and Outstanding Artistic Contribution and The Mosquito Net (La Mosquitera), which won the Grand Prix — Crystal Globe and The Don Quixote Prize (FICC — Intl. Federation of Film Societies) at Karlovy Vary in Competition, will also be screened.
Festival director, Srinivasan Narayan, concedes it was a tedious process choosing the films to be screened at the festival this year. “I have to thank the academy and its representatives in various countries for their unending support which made it possible for us to have a wide range of films that have won accolades in one or more departments at popular film festivals,” he adds.
The number of winners in various categories at various renowned film festivals across the world is huge. But the number of films to be screened at the festival is dismal in comparison. Narayan explains, “We have our representatives, programmers and selectors in the US, UK and Japan who draw up a list and later shortlist the best out of it, keeping in mind the number of films that have to be screened at the festival.”
Award Winning Films at MAMI this year
* Of Gods And Men (Des Hommes Et Des Dieux) Xavier Beauvois: Won Grand Prize at Cannes in Competition this year
* A Screaming Man(Un Homme Qui Crie) by Mahamat-Saleh Haroun: Won Jury Prize at Cannes in Competition this year
* Certified Copy (Copie Conforme) by Abbas Kiarostami: Won Best Actress (Juliette Binoche) Award at Cannes in Competition this year
* On Tour (Tournée) by Mathieu Amalric: Won the Best Director Award at Cannes in Competition this year.
* Poetry by Lee Chang-dong: Won an award for the Best Screenplay at Cannes Film Festival 2010
* How I Ended This Summer (Kak Ya Provel Etim Letom) by Alexei Popogrebsky: Won Silver Bear for Best Actor (Grigory Dobrygin and Sergei Puskepalis) and for Outstanding Artistic Contribution (Pavel Kostomarov, director of
photography) at Berlinale in Competition in February 2010
* Honey (Bal) by Semih Kaplanoglu: Winner of the Golden Bear award at Berlinale 2010
* Route Irish by Ken Loach: Premiered at Cannes 2010
* Winter Vacation by Li Hongqi: Won top prize at Locarno Film Festival this year
* Mosquito Net by Agustí Vila The Mosquito Net
(La Mosquitera): Won Grand Prix — Crystal Globe and The Don Quixote Prize at Karlovy Vary in Competition in July this year