Recently, when Saif Ali Khan walked out of an event in Delhi after the media asked him to apologise for showing up late, he joined a burgeoning list of stars who have lost their temper in public.
The actor didn’t apologise at the event, but he was later quoted as saying, “I wasn’t agitated. And when we realised interviews weren’t happening, we left.” It brings us to the question of how exactly stars must conduct themselves in public and stay calm when other factors spiral out of control.
Yoga guru Vivek Mishra offers a tip. He says, “I recommend breathing exercises and counting from one to 10 and then backwards. This helps you focus. If you don’t want to answer a certain question, simply say, ‘No comments’ rather than get angry.”
Holistic wellness guru, Mickey Mehta adds, “Stars spend a lot of time in public. They are mostly shooting or attending events, so they are always in the midst of people. They should observe silence in their free time. Conscious breathing and chanting also helps. Retrospection and self-evaluation from the last moment are very important for them.”
Imran Khan, who recently had a fight with a unit member, says, “Everyone loses their temper at some point, but when stars do the same, it gets publicised. Their behaviour is always under surveillance in public places, so they have to think twice before even showing irritation.”
Defending actors like Ranbir Kapoor, who snapped at a media person recently, director Anurag Basu says, “It’s difficult for them to keep calm when the media asks something personal. I understand that journalists are also under pressure to get news, so they should conduct themselves properly and celebs should maintain their dignity.”
Senior journalist Ayaz Memon feels that celebrities as well as the media need to think about their actions. He says, “With so many media houses today, everyone’s in a rush and many people end up asking the same question and irking the celebrity. Journalists need to look at different, interesting angles for their stories. The celeb also needs to be capable of handling things.”
They lost it too
* Shah Rukh Khan is banned from entering the city’s Wankhede Stadium after he was accused of abusing and manhandling a security guard (left). Post the incident, he said, “I reacted as a father, but I have no justification for that. However angry or disturbed (I am), I could not subject my kids to such behaviour. I felt ashamed after my wife and children told me that my behaviour was not good.”
* Hrithik Roshan lost his cool on a visit to Shirdi. The actor, who was accompanied by parents Rakesh and Pinky and wife Sussanne, had a small altercation with the media and alleged that his personal life was being invaded at the holy spot.
* When asked what alleged girlfriend Katrina Kaif had gifted him on his birthday, Ranbir Kapoor had retorted, “There is a phrase in English: Mind your own business.”
* Reports about Ranveer Singh losing his cool at an airhostess as he was not served non-vegetarian food on a flight also made the rounds recently.
* Jaya Bachchan recently lashed out at photographers for addressing her daughter-in-law by only her first name (left). She was quoted as saying, “Kya Aishwarya Aishwarya bula rahe ho, tumhare class mein padhti thi kya? (Why are you calling her Aishwarya; was she your classmate?).”