Incarcerated Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, who was granted two weeks' furlough by the state prison authorities on Tuesday, has been released from Yerwada Central Jail (YCJ), officials said on Wednesday. A Mantralaya official, requesting anonymity, had said earlier that Sanjay will be released later in the day.
Sanjay, who is currently serving a five-year jail term since nearly 18 months, had applied for the furlough in November.
Earlier, he had taken furlough on medical grounds in October 2013 for 28 days, followed by a similar leave for 28 days in December 2013, to tend to his ailing wife Manyata -- the latter had sparked protests.
His wife's prolonged illness prompted him to seek further parole in January for another 28 days.
Sanjay was convicted for illegal possession and destruction of an AK-56 army assault rifle during the 1993 Mumbai communal conflagration before the March 12, 1993 serial bomb blasts in the city.
Following a Supreme Court directive, he had surrendered May 16, 2013, and was shifted to the high-security YCJ in Pune to serve the remainder of his 42-month sentence.