This one's an iconic song that brought actors Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai together, grooving to its beats. Kajra Re, the famous number from the film, Bunty Aur Babli (2005), is competing to be the 'top song of the century' - a Fever 104 initiative and a part of Cinema@100 led by Hindustan Times to celebrate 100 years of Indian cinema.
Composed by the musical trio, Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, the track has its roots in a folk song of Braj Bhoomi, in which the celebrated black eyes are Lord Krishna's, and belongs to the Qawaali genre with western fusion. Choreographed by Vaibhavi Merchant, the song saw Ash (who only featured in this song in the film) perform trademark Bollywood 'thumkas'. "We shot the song within five days. Amitji is extremely focused and Abhishek extremely unfocused. While shooting, I'd get so irritated with him, I wanted to kill him. It's his spontaneity which works," says Vaibhavi was quoted as saying.
Tune in to Fever 104 to listen to these all-time favourite hits, and log on to cinemaat100.com to cast your vote to make your favourite the top song of the century.
Did you know?
* After hearing the song initially, Big B demanded some changes, but filmmakers Shaad Ali and Aditya Chopra convinced him otherwise.
* The song was featured in Caminho das Indias, a marathon soap opera that ran on Brazil's popular TV network, Rede Globo.
* Kajra Re featured as top in Rediff's 2005's Top 5 songs list. It also topped the poll conducted by Planet Bollywood as the song of the year by a whopping 44%.
* It was voted as the song of the year by three radio stations including Lotus FM, catering to South African Indians.
* A portion of the song is featured in the film Dor (2006).
* There are two official remixes - Special Movie Remix, which is 5 minutes and 33 seconds, and Aqeel Tribal Mix, which is 5 minutes 49 seconds long.
* Starring: Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
* Sung by: Alisha Chinoy, Shankar Mahadevan and Javed Ali.
* Film: Bunty Aur Babli
* Year: 2005
* Composer: Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy
* Lyrics: Gulzar
* Choreographed by: Vaibhavi Merchant