Now, when the year 2014 has come to its end, we have compiled a list of 25 tough Bollywood quiz questions which will test your knowledge about films, stars and their lives.
1. Dr Solanki graduated in Chemical Engineering from IIT and got a PhD from China’s Zhejiang University in only three years, researching in high-density polymers. How is this research related to Bollywood in 2014?
2. Which Bollywood film of 2014 takes its title from a poem by Subhadra Kumari Chauhan, written about a significant event in India’s freedom struggle?
3. For a significant period this year, an Indian film was the worst rated film on IMDb.com. Which film was it and how did it get to that position?
4. Who is the author of the book, Operation Payback?
5. According to a much-shared joke on social media, Step 2 is ‘Add long hair’, Step 3 is ‘Add mascara’ and Step 4 is ‘Apply powder’. What are Steps 1 and 5?
6. "Hawking’s Black Hole Information Paradox results from the combination of quantum mechanics and general relativity, which suggest that all physical information could permanently disappear in a black hole, making it a non-unitary transformation of state. But if that’s true, it flies right in the face of what we know about quantum physics. A recent elegant solution, however, involves the concept of stimulated emission to explain the supposed information loss." — From which popular film of 2014 is this dialogue taken?
7. The heroine of a 1991 film appeared in a 2014 film, singing one of the hit songs from an earlier film. Name the heroine and both the films.
8. This word, derived from the Aramaic language, is a slang meaning ‘shameless audacity’. It has also been defined as "that quality enshrined in a man who, having killed his mother and father, throws himself at the mercy of the court because he is an orphan". What is the word?
9. A Kashmiri game designer with Akira Games of Tokyo – who had come up with a game called Ultimate Kick – was called to the deathbed of his father in the Cancer Centre of Orlando, Florida, USA. Which role was he offered immediately after that?
10. What is common to Bilqis Ahmed, Rakesh Sharma and Stephanie Fernandes?
11. In 2014, Ratna Pathak Shah emulated a feat that was last done by Shabana Azmi in 2006. What did she do?
12. "You are never too old to play with this": Which toy was advertised using this line?
13. Where can the following brands be found together: Satya Paul, JBL, Forest Essentials, Versace, Moët & Chandon, Le15, Under The Mango Tree, Royce and Country of Origin?
14. Which film released in 2014 received the following review from Naseeruddin Shah: "Some of the one-liners had the zinging wit one encounters not infrequently in UP. But I could identify the source of almost every single scene – not only Spaghetti Westerns this time, but blithe borrowings from Hollywood classics as well, even Mr Chaplin was not spared".
15. Lal Singh’s son resigned from 32 jobs in his career before he embarked on an international assignment and joined the police force after that. What is his name and how do we know him better?
16. #1000WeeksOfDDLJ: From which film is the song ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’ taken? For the first time in Bollywood, DDLJ credited someone for the ‘title idea’. Who was this person?
17. This heroine’s name – when broken down – means ‘high, wealthy and agile’ and she got noticed in Bollywood for the first time in 2014. By what name do we know her?
18. #20YearsOfAndazApnaApna: The cult comedy classic finished20 years since its release and many unknown facts and videos surfaced. Who gave the clap for the ‘mahurat shot’ of the film?
19. A film which won the National Award for Best Hindi film in 2012 eventually released in 2014 and received widespread acclaim for its script and lead actors – both newcomers. Which film was this?
20. A Bollywood star tweeted in 2014: "____ releasing... Bro and masi coming together! (sic)" Identify the star and the film.
21. Who is the director of the film, Parvati Ka Pati Kaun?
22. VISUAL: Who is this person reading a David Baldacci thriller?
23. VISUAL: Connect this poster with a hit film of 2014.
24. VISUAL: Whose Twitter debut was announced by Karan Johar with this tweet? Name the person and the handle.
25. VISUAL: Identify this relatively obscure film, which had 35 such suggestive posters to launch it.
(Mail us your answers to the quiz at email@example.com. The correct answers will be published in our January 1 edition. Winners will win a copy of Diptakirti Chaudhuri’s book Bollybook: The Big Book of Hindi Movie Trivia.)