High profile Bollywood projects that broke
Despite having announced projects with much fanfare, multiple film-makers and stars have had to go their own waysbollywood Updated: Jul 14, 2014 11:30 IST
A few days ago, it was announced that Kapil Sharma would no longer be part of Aditya Chopra’s upcoming production and that Riteish Deshmukh had replaced him in the film.
TV star Kapil joins a long list of actors in recent times, including Hrithik Roshan, Vidya Balan and Kangana Ranaut, to have either been dropped or have opted to walk out of a project for one reason or another.
Film-maker Anees Bazmee sees this as part of the movie-making process. "I have experienced similar situations in the past, where I have had to change dialogue or the script to suit new stars [after old actors were replaced]. So, I am sure these makers too know how to deal with the situation," he says.
Trade analyst Amod Mehra points out that getting the correct replacement is important. He says, "If a smaller star takes over the role from an A-lister, then the film could get affected."
Also, a change in cast has an impact on the project itself, since the script and release date have to be reworked. "They have to make changes to suit the personality of the new actors and the shooting schedule could be delayed," adds industry expert Komal Nahta.
Here, we list why some stars and film-makers parted ways in recent times.
Hrithik Roshan: He was supposed to be part of Karan Johar’s Shuddhi that was to go on the floors in December last year. The actor opted out of the project citing health problems. The makers are yet to announce a replacement.
Kangana Ranaut: The actor was finalised for Sujoy Ghosh’s Durga Rani Singh, but walked out because of date issues. Kareena Kapoor Khan is apparently being considered for the role, although no official announcement has been made.
Vidya Balan: She was the first and last choice for the sequel to Kahaani (2012), to be directed by Sujoy Ghosh. However, the actor parted ways after a dispute between co-producer Jayantilal Gada and Ghosh over who owns the rights to the film.
Imran Khan: He was to be part of Vikramaditya Motwane’s Bhavesh Joshi, but was replaced by Sidharth Malhotra due to “creative differences” with the director. Set to go on the floors in February, the shooting will now commence later this year.