Ranbir Kapoor’s new dud release lets him down
Box Office reportbollywood Updated: Oct 09, 2013 18:13 IST
With two big hits behind him, 'Barfi!' (2012) and 'Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani', Ranbir Kapoor has ascertained his position as the next budding superstar. After their successes (both the films made over `100 cr), his name was considered synonymous with good movies- at least the perception was so.
However, his recent release, Besharam, has been called a “disaster”. Along with a series of scathing reviews, the box office performance of Abhinav Singh Kashyap’s second directorial venture (his debut film was Dabangg; 2010) has also disappointing.
“Disaster is not even the correct word for the film. It had a superb opening on Wednesday (October 2; Gandhi Jayanti) as it was a bank holiday. It recorded around `20 crore. Then came the downward slide. The numbers kept falling badly. Every day was worse than the previous one. The film is a failure,” says trade analyst Amod Mehra, who claims that the project was made in not less than `85 crore (including promotions and advertising).
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh seconds Mehra’s analysis. “Ranbir’s star appeal drew the audience on day one. Eventually, the content has to talk and the material let Ranbir down badly. Even internationally, the film is a downer. It’s a sure flop in terms of the theatrical business it has done,” says Adarsh.
According to the spokesperson of a multiplex chain, the makers’ decision to release the film midweek also caused some harm. “The second day was a working day and the drop was obvious. It couldn’t pick up on the weekend as well because the reviewers had already bashed it and there was no positive word of mouth. As a result, the number of shows in the theatres was decreased Monday onwards,” says the spokesperson.
Source: amod mehra; approximate figures