Rekha: 56 and smokin’ hot
Bollywood’s original diva may be on the other side of 50, but that isn’t stopping her from getting hotter and fitter or setting the screen afire again. For Rekha, who will next be seen in the film Aaj Bhi Jeene Ki Tamanna Hai, life was never better than it is, now.bollywood Updated: May 22, 2011 14:41 IST
Bollywood’s original diva may be on the other side of 50, but that isn’t stopping her from getting hotter and fitter or setting the screen afire again. For Rekha, who will next be seen in the film Aaj Bhi Jeene Ki Tamanna Hai, life was never better than it is, now.
“Now seems like forever. I am still child-like by nature. It is in the genes. I believe I am a late bloomer. My mom hardly had grey hair and barely needed glasses. My paternal grandmother lived to be almost hundred. I have ‘saavla’ skin, which tends to age slower than fair skin. I am a simple, fun-loving, easy-going girl ... time does not feature in my scheme of things!” she says, in a special supplement of wellness magazine asiaSpa India.
Rekha, who plays ‘a woman of the world’ in her latest film, says she isn’t the mysterious person she’s been made out to be. “What mystery? You tell me. It’s just that I am basically shy by nature, an introvert and fiercely private. I live on my own terms and make my own rules. My principles of ‘Rekha-ism’, if you please, don’t feel the need to announce every incident that transpires in the course of the day,” she says, adding, “Sorry, but I am not that little birdie that ’twitters’.”
The actor, who works out and dances regularly for that enviable figure, feels that the only secret to beauty is keeping it natural. “Real beauty is what happens naturally, when you don’t plan for it. The minute you are conscious about it, it vanishes. You become what you believe. Be real, be true to yourself, your loved ones, your craft and people. Drink lots of water. And, love to your heart’s content.”
* Real name: Bhanurekha Gemini Ganesan
* Born on 10 October 1954. Daughter of Tamil actor Gemini Ganesan
* Was a child actor in Telugu movie Rangula Ratnam (1966)
* Her first film as female lead was Sawan Bhadon (1970)
* She has acted in 180 films over 40 years
* She was romantically linked up with actors Jitendra, Kiran Kumar and more famously, Amitabh Bachchan
* In 1990, she married businessman Mukesh Aggarwal, who committed suicide in 1991. Also rumoured to have married Vinod Mehra in 1973, but she denied it.