Salman Khan sued for Rs 250 crore, Veer producer files defamation case
It seems 2015 is going to be the year of legal troubles for Bollywood actor Salman Khan.bollywood Updated: Jun 23, 2015 09:43 IST
It seems 2015 is going to be the year of legal troubles for Bollywood actor Salman Khan. After the hit-and-run case and black buck case, Salman is now faced with a defamation case lodged by Veer producer Vijay Galani.
Galani has accused Khan of misconduct in professional behavior, mental agony and loss of reputation. As per a report published on English daily DNA, Galani said: "I agreed to give Salman a signing amount of Rs 10 crores for Veer. In his entire career, Salman had not received this kind of a signing amount. In fact his entire fee for Yuvraaj and Wanted and other films during that period was around Rs 7-8 crore each. Even Salim Saab said this signing amount was unprecedented. Besides this amount, we agreed that Salman would get Rs 15 crore if and when there is an 'overflow' (profits made by the film). Salman completed the film happily. And I sold the film to Eros Entertainment. Eros, Salman and I drew up a tri-party agreement that the first overflow amount of Rs 15 crore would go to Salman."
Galani says that the film didn't earn any profit, yet Salman's office sent him a letter that asked Galani to show the original copy of the agreement letter: The most interesting thing about this letter was that on the night before I received it I was at Salman's place laughing and joking as usual. He mentioned that his new business manager was sending me a letter and I should just ignore it. Then in April I received another letter stating that Salman finds the Rs15 crore overflow agreement to be unacceptable. This, after everything being on paper. We were working together for two years and he never mentioned he had any problem with the 'overflow' agreement. What made him suddenly wake up about having a problem with the overflow?
Galani gave the case details: Firstly the 'overflow' agreement was on paper and secondly Veer showed no profits. So CINTAA ruled in my favour. Then I took the help of my producers' association. Salman then complained to the Federation Of Western India Cine Association. But I responded saying there was no overflow.In the meanwhile Salman got upset with CINTAA.So to please him they issued a non-cooperation letter against me which was totally invalid and baseless.
He further said: The honourable court saw my papers.They called Salman's representative to court and asked on what basis they had been asking for money and why was a non-cooperation letter issued against me. They had no reply. The court has now ruled in my favour and issued an absolute stay on the non-cooperation letter.
He further added: I cannot tell you what I've gone through during the last three years .My mental agony and the money on lawyers has left me drained. I've filed a Rs 250-crore defamation case against Salman for mental agony, harassment, loss of face. Who will give me back the 3 years that I've lost?
Read: How Salman Khan got bail, made it home so quickly after conviction