Sanjay Dutt’s 15-year wait! | bollywood | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Sanjay Dutt’s 15-year wait!

bollywood Updated: Jul 02, 2013 00:47 IST
Prashant Singh
Prashant Singh
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

He played the underworld don to perfection in films like Aatish (1994), Vaastav (1999), Jung (2000) and Plan (2004). But not many know that Sanjay Dutt has spent the last 15 years discussing and researching real-life gangster Sarman Munja Jadeja’s life. So understandably, he is excited about playing the Gujarati don in Soham Shah and Ashtavinayak’s upcoming film.

“We have been working on the subject for over a decade. Over the years, Neeraj (writer-director Vora), Paresh (actor Rawal) and I have discussed the subject and worked on it.

Somehow, things never worked out. But now that the film is finally happening, it feels great,” says Dutt, whose character in the film will also be called Sarman Munja. The Munjha family had a strong hold over Porbandar and other places in Saurashtra in the early ’80s. Sarman Munja was also known as the Robin Hood of Gujarat.

“Yes, people say that. So, I am sure it will be interesting to explore this part of his life. The makers have come up with a great story and I am really looking forward to the film,” says Sanjay.

Directed by Soham, the film is also likely to star Vivek Oberoi and Chitrangada Singh. Interestingly, Bollywood has already made Godmother (1999) based on the life of Sarman’s wife Santokben Jadeja.

Although no official announcement has been made yet, the project, to be shot in a start-to-finish schedule, might go on the floors by May or June. Ask Sanjay if he feels confident about the film, and he says, “I sincerely hope people appreciate what I do in it. We are working very hard on the project.”

Apparently, Sanjay’s Satte Pe Satta (1982) remake with Soham and Ashtavinayak has been put on the backburner due to this gangster film. The remake of Amitabh Bachchan-Hema Malini blockbuster will start once Sanjay wraps up the current project.

Controversy under control!
A few days ago, actor-writer Manoj Joshi had accused former associates of backstabbing him by joining Sanjay Dutt’s Sarman Munja project. The 46-year-old had stated that he had been researching the don’s life for the last four years, but people who worked with him joined Soham. He also alleged that his project was “hijacked”.

Joshi had also stated earlier that he had held discussions with Neeraj Vora, who is associated with Dutt’s film, almost a year ago. But now he insists there’s no conflict. Joshi says, “The situation isn’t the same (as earlier). Ashtavinayak is making the film.

And there’s no problem between us.” At the same time, Joshi insists he’s “not going to make any film” on Munja, adding that he’ll work with Ashtavinayak and Soham on Dutt’s film now. Ask him if he talked to Akshay Kumar about the film, and he says, “It was merely an idea that Akshay could play the part. We never had a chat.”