It seems Shah Rukh Khan and Ajay Devgn are set to fight for theatre screens once again this year. Shah Rukh Khan's Jab Tak Hai Jaan and Ajay Devgn's Son of Sardar clashed last year when both films released on Eid, making theatre owners choose between the two stars for allotting screens. With Yash Raj Films behind SRK's venture, Ajay Devgn's petition on behalf of his own production house Ajay Devgn Films Pvt Ltd was rejected by the CCL (Competition Commission of India) and the verdict said that no rules were being violated.
As Bollywood prepares the arena for big and festive releases this year, Ajay Devgn might be in a deja vu state. Shah Rukh Khan's Chennai Express, by Red Chillies Entertainments is set for Eid release this year. Clashing with SRK's big release this year is Akshay Kumar's Once Upon A Time in Mumbaai Again. However, just a week after Chennai Express releases, Ajay Devgn-starrer Satyagraha Democracy Under Fire is also slated for release.
Now Satyagraha is being produced UTV MOtion Pictures - a production house well placed to secure theatre screens even when pitched against Shah Rukh Khan's Red Chillies Entertainment. What remains to be seen is whether a big production house manages to equal SRK's persona or does the superstar gains the edge over entertainer Ajay Devgn. Will the tables be turned with Ajay Devgn being backed by a big production house while SRK bats for his home production this Eid?
Well, we keep our fingers crossed for both Shah Rukh Khan and Ajay Devgn as both are mass entertainers of the day.
MORE ON AJAY DEVGN-SRK CLASH Ajay Devgn sends legal notice to YRF
In a development that has shocked many in Bollywood, actor-producer Ajay Devgn has served a legal notice to Yash Raj Films for unfairly using their dominant position in the industry and putting pressure on the exhibitors to give prominence to their upcoming film, Jab Tak Hai Jaan (JTHJ), over Devgn’s Son of Sardaar (SOS). Both the films are set to release on Diwali, i.e. on November 13. Considering the old rivalry between JTHJ’s lead actor Shah Rukh Khan and Ajay Devgn, the clash is touted as one of the biggest in recent Bollywood history.
COMPLETE STORY Yash Raj Films issues strong rejoinder to Ajay Devgn’s notice VIDEO
Shocking is how Bollywood production house Yash Raj Films has described actor-producer Ajay Devgn’s allegation that they indulged in "malpractice" to put pressure on the exhibitors, especially single screen theatre owners, to screen YRF’s SRK-starrer Jab Tak Hai Jaan (JTHJ) and not Devgn’s Son of Sardar (SOS) that releases the same day.
READ ON Shah Rukh Khan reacts to Yash Raj-Ajay Devgn tussle
Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan on Friday said he was thankful he was not directly involved in legal tussle between producers of Jab Tak Hai Jaan and Son of Sardaar.
He was referring to actor-producer Ajay Devgn sending a legal notice to Yash Raj Films for allegedly asking exhibitors to give prominence to Jab Tak Hain Jaan over Son Of Sardaar."I was reading about it today. There are enough screens. These are all legal matters and thankfully it's not my production company," Shah Rukh told reporters at a press meet on his 47th birthday here.
CONTINUE READING Ajay Devgn's plea against YRF rejected
The Competition Commission has rejected the complaint from actor Ajay Devgn against Yash Raj Films for alleged abuse of dominant position in the Hindi film industry, saying that the plea does not have any merit. Actor-producer Devgn's complaint came ahead of the release this month of films by both the parties involved.
"The Commission has rejected the complaint of Ajay Devgn against Yash Raj Films as there was no merit in it. The complaint does not fall under any area that violates Competition rules," said a senior official of the Competition Commission of India (CCI).