While the country can’t stop discussing Salman Khan’s controversial statement where he said he felt like a ‘raped woman’ after the gruelling shoot of Sultan, Bollywood stars have refrained from condemning his comment. Salman plays a wrestler in the film.
The Bollywood star made the comment during an interview with entertainment website spotboye.com to promote his film Sultan, which tells the story of an ageing wrestler trying to make a comeback.
From father Salim Khan apologising for Salman’s statements to one of the most-outspoken Bollywood actresses, Kangana Ranaut saying sorry ‘on behalf of the industry’ - everyone but Salman has apologised. So far, the only reaction coming from the actor has been, “Knowing me, the shorter I keep it the better it is.” He was speaking on the sidelines of International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA Awards) that concluded recently in Madrid. He was asked to speak more on the topic, but Salman being Salman, he obliged none.
But now actor Shah Rukh Khan has reacted on Salman’s ‘raped woman’ comment.
According to a Times of India report, SRK said he is “so inappropriate” that he shouldn’t judge others.
“In the last few years I have realised that I made so many inappropriate comments myself that I don’t think I am someone to sit and judge somebody else’s comments to be very honest. It’s about taking sides or not taking sides.”
“Who are we to decide or not decide what he (Salman) should or shouldn’t be doing. Personally speaking I don’t think I can make any comments on this, I am so inappropriate myself. I myself say so many things,” the report quoted him as saying.
Meanwhile, the National Commission of Women (NCW) on Thursday summoned Salman to come to their office on July 8.
“The letter is not at all conciliatory, there’s not even a hint of an apology. In fact, he tried to find fault with the NCW for taking up the issue. He, more or less, said that it’s not up to us to take cognizance of this issue. His lawyer has also said that if I heard the whole tape, I would have seen that immediately after he made this statement, he said “oops, I shouldn’t have said it,” NCW chief Lalitha Kumaramangalam said.
The Commission also warned the actor that if he fails to appear before the panel, it may proceed to take action as it deems fit. “Commission finds that you are not willing to apologies for the remarks made by you. The explanation offered by you, after making such an irresponsible and callous statement doesn’t amount to an apology. Your reply is therefore not satisfactory,” the NCW said in its notice issued on Thursday.
(With PTI inputs)
Follow @htshowbiz for more