Why haven’t you said sorry for Pak visit: Anurag Kashyap asks PM Modi
Extending his support to filmmaker Karan Johar over the release of Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, director Anurag Kashyap took a dig on Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The Gangs of Wasseypur director demanded apology from the PM for his Lahore visit on December 25. Anurag says Modi spent our tax money to meet the Pakistani PM while Karan Johar made Ae Dil Hai Mushkil from his own money.bollywood Updated: Oct 16, 2016 13:45 IST
Filmmaker Anurag Kashyap launched a Twitter tirade against the prime minister on Sunday, asking Narendra Modi why he hadn’t apologised for his visit to Pakistan last year.
Kashyap’s comments were seen as support for Karan Johar’s upcoming movie – Ae Dil Hai Mushkil – which is battling calls for a ban because it features Pakistani actor Fawad Khan.
In a series of tweets, Kashyap wrote Sunday morning, “@narendramodi Sir you haven’t yet said sorry for your trip to meet the Pakistani PM.. It was dec 25th. Same time KJo was shooting ADHM? Why? why is it that we have to face it while you can be silent?? and you actually diverted your trip on our tax money,while the film shot then was on money on which someone here pays interest.”
The world must learn from us.. We solve all our problems by blaming it on movies and banning it.. #ADHM . With you on this @karanjohar,” Kashyap tweeted late Saturday.
Starring Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan along with Pakistani actor Fawad Khan in lead roles, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil is facing trouble after cinema owners association decided to stall the release of movies starring Pakistani artistes.
In a surprise move, Modi had visited Pakistan on December 25 last year for Pakistani prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s birthday – but relations between the two nations have plummeted since then.
Ae Dil Hai Mushkil was slated for a Diwali release but ran into trouble because of mounting calls to teach Islamabad a lesson for sponsoring cross-border terrorism. Suspected Pakistani militants attacked an army base in Kashmir’s Uri last month, killing 19 soldiers and unleashing furious reactions across India.
Cinema Owners Exhibitors Association of India (COEAI) on Friday announced that they would not screen movies starring Pakistani artistes in the four states of Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka and Goa. The decision taken by COEAI mainly covers single screen theatres and comes amid tension between India and Pakistan in the aftermath of Uri attack last month.
Many industry people including Om Puri, Shyam Benegal, Vikram Bhatt, Mukesh Bhatt and Censor Board chief Pahalaj Nihalani have slammed the ban on the release of the film which have completed production.