Have you watched the video of Yo Yo Honey Singh’s ‘modern’ rendition of Dheere Dheere Se (the Kumar Sanu song from Aashiqui, the 1990 film starring Rahul Roy and Anu Aggarwal)?
This brand new version stars Hrithik Roshan and Sonam Kapoor, and a lot of folks have been less than complimentary about the video, the song, and the act of murdering a classic. But you know, iss gaane ke bade faayde hain 1. It made Kumar Sanu relevant again. We revisited the original song in an attempt to soothe our ears. And after we heard those lovely dulcet nasal vocals again, we immediately looked for live videos of Sanu scrunching up his face while singing. This made us realise that jab koi baat bigad jaaye, we’ll always have this photo to look at.
2. It proved conclusively that eating too much carrot will have side effects. There is no other way to explain that hair colour on Hrithik.
3. It actively demonstrated that you may be a famous movie star but you will STILL look hilarious lip syncing in Punjabi.
4. It made us wonder what Rahul Roy looks like now and what he did last. The answers: not good and Bigg Boss 1, nine years ago.
5. It showed us that Sonam Kapoor can act (if only for about five seconds when she is surrounded by a bunch of people, and she gets a party horn as a prop).
6. It established a new formula: If you make a bizarre enough video, nobody will actually pay attention to however terrible the song is. You’ll have a hit on your hands.
From HT Brunch, September 13
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch