It’s a disease that is turning productive people into zombies. This is how the world will end – not with a bang but a Pokeball
* It’s dangerous: People have been slipping, tripping, crashing their vehicles, getting mugged and shot at, and quitting their jobs, to catch these fictional monsters through their mobiles. Just the distraction you need during the monsoon when the streets are muddy and the manholes submerged!
* Bye-bye phone battery: The game has spiked the sale of portable chargers in the US since its launch in July. For any serious progress in the PokeWorld, your phone needs to be on charge nonstop. You may practice caution with your own life while playing, but your phone’s battery will die for sure.
* It’s a dumb game: Pokemon Go requires no special skills nor does it help you develop any. You just need a working index finger and eyes to play. If you need something to kill time on commutes or in waiting rooms, play mobile Scrabble instead. Your brain will thank you.
* Pokemon trainer or slave owner? You capture free creatures using violence and then artificially evolve them for fights. You may be drawn to it by the cuteness factor or childhood nostalgia, but soon you’ll be bartering the “less useful” Pokemon for candies to improve the ones with promising physical attributes. How you doing? You soulless imperialist!
* A colossal waste of time: Think of all the things you could accomplish in a day instead of chasing a rattata with combat power 10. Do something better with your time: learn a language, play a sport, volunteer, cook, develop an app, read a book or finish the one you’ve been planning to write since forever. Have something better to show for your years on this planet.
I’m on level 13 BTW.
From HT Brunch, August 21, 2016
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch