Greatest Indian Novels: Jeet Thayil's list
Here's Jeet Thayil's list of books.brunch Updated: Jun 21, 2014 23:24 IST
In no order of importance:
1. All About H. Hatterr by GV Desani
2. Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya
3. The Financial Expert by RK Narayan
4. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
5. English, August by Upamanyu Chatterjee
6. The Trotternama by I. Allan Sealy
7. The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
8. The Golden Gate by Vikram Seth
9. The Serpent and the Rope by Raja Rao
10. In Custody by Anita Desai
JEET THAYIL was born in Mamalasserie, Kerala, and educated in Bombay, Hongkong and New York. His four poetry collections include English and These Errors Are Correct, which won the 2013 Sahitya Akademi Award for poetry in English. He is the editor of The Bloodaxe Book of Contemporary Indian Poets.
As a musician and songwriter, he is one half of the contemporary music project Sridhar/Thayil. Jeet Thayil's novel Narcopolis won the 2012 DSC Prize for South Asian Literature, and was shortlisted for five other prizes, including the Man Booker prize, the Man Asian Literature Prize and the Commonwealth Prize.