Hatim Tai makes a comeback
As the Life OK show on Hatim Tai premiers on Dec 28, here's everything you need to know about the famous man.brunch Updated: Dec 21, 2013 18:04 IST
LIFE OK’s new show about Hatim Tai premieres on Dec 28. Here’s a quick primer
History regards Hatem ibn Abdellah ibn Sa’ad at-Ta’iy or Hatim Tai as a generous man and a poet. Popular culture sees him as a source of intrigue. The guy went on a successful quest to answer the Seven Riddles and lifted a spell that changed the Gulnar Pari from stone to what she was originally made of. Most likely cinnamon and ittar.The seven riddles / seven questions
1. What I saw once, I long for a second time.
2. Do good, and cast it upon the waters.
3. Do no evil; if you do, such shall you meet with.
4. He who speaks the truth is always tranquil.
5. Let him bring an account of the mountain of Nida.
6. Let him produce a pearl of the size of a duck’s egg.
7. Let him bring an account of the bath of Bad-gard.
Bollywood has had a Hatim film for every generation
1. Directed by G.R. Sethi (1933)
2. Directed by Homi Wadia (1956)
3. Saat Sawal (1971) directed by Babubhai Mistry
4. Haatim Tai (1990) by Mistry again. Sangeeta Bijlani danced to Aaj Bachna Mushkil, also sung by Amrish Puri
In addition to some TV shows
1. Dastan-e-Hatimtai (DD): The cast included bigshots like Shammi Kapoor and Parikshit Sahni. Bad CGI and worse acting
2. Hatim (Star TV): Star ran it for one season, but managed to get 48 episodes in. It is still aired by Star’s channels in Hong Kong and the US
From HT Brunch, December 22
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch