The reactions to the leaked on-set pictures were the first signs of trouble for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The Internet unleashed its disdain on Ben Affleck’s rather morose Batman. They probably feel vindicated now.
Batman v Superman is now set to join in the infamy of Green Lantern and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, becoming one of the worst big budget superhero movies of all time.
Read: Batman v Superman review
Here’s why [spoilers ahead]:
* More than a movie, it is an ad campaign for the next few from the DC universe: Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Flash and the Justice League will all eventually have their own movies. This was just a bad mixtape with too many sub-plots.
* Batman is a lean, mean... killing machine: This is the clincher. Batman kills people now. Better known for his stealthy hand-to-hand combat and mind games, Affleck’s Batman lacks the moral dilemmas of the Dark Knight. Who is this guy anyway?!
* CGI: Way too much, but never enough to cover for the lack of a coherent plot.
* If you’ve seen the trailer, you’ve seen this movie: Yes, there is a face-off between Batman and Superman. And yes, a glimpse of the Justice League is revealed. But, wait. But, nothing.
* Another repeat of the Batman origins story: Because apparently we all need to know that Bruce Wayne’s parents got shot in front of him. Again!
* What about the iconic villain? Part of the big-budget superhero movie charm is the new arch-nemesis we all get to obsess over. Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor is an erratic child.
* How does Lex Luthor even know who Superman and Batman really are? They’re the two most protected identities in comic book history. Geeks know, but a little context would’ve done no harm.
* There is Aquaman. No one likes Aquaman. Not even Entourage fans.
* It’s a raw deal for the Superman fans: Superman has huge PR problems, he is rather hammy about his mommy issues and he eventually dies.
Destroying a near perfect Batman franchise was a tightrope walk. That said, Zack Snyder, you made it look easy.
From HT Brunch, April 3, 2016
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch