Are you breaking out despite taking care of your skin? You might just be doing everything right... for the wrong skin type. Skin is the largest organ and our connection to the rest of the world. It reflects the qualities of the rakta dhatu (blood) and the rasa dhatu (plasma tissue). So glowing skin is a sign of good quality rasa and rakta.
Our skin can be classified into various kinds of prakriti.
Vata: This kind of skin is dry, rough and cold, and the tone is smoky-dark.
Pitta: This kind of skin sweats a lot and has little tolerance for heat. The tone is yellowish-fair.
Kapha:This kind of skin is often oily, soft and cold, and the tone is wheatish-fair.
We see typically see a combination of two or three doshas in a person.
Taking care of vata skin
* Vata skin needs lots of oil and moisture. Massage your skin with rich creams and lotions. Exfoliate with moong-dal paste once a week.
* Include seeds, nuts and grains, vegetables and fruits, milk and yoghurt in the diet.
Taking care of pitta skin
* This skin type tends to turn reddish when exposed to harsh sun. Pitta skin is prone to acne, blackheads, whiteheads, and has a patchy texture.
* Include blood-purifying foods such as green vegetables and sprouts and avoid fried foods, too much tea and coffee as they increase the toxins in the blood. Include aloe vera, amla and triphala in the diet.
Taking care of kapha skin
* Those with this skin type usually enjoy blemish-free skin. They don't not suffer from too many problems provided the skin is not damaged with chemical-based skin products or exposed to the sun for too long. A regular balanced diet is ideal to maintain skin health.
Read more: Skin care tips for men
Here are some habits that are a must for all skin types
|* Drink plenty of water to keep the skin hydrated and flush out all the toxins |
* Eat proteins, but in moderation
* Rejuvenate your skin by applying a paste of honey, olive oil and a mixture of turmeric and sandalwood
* Drink amla juice (2tsp) along with aloe vera juice (2tsp) every day
* Take blood purifying herbs such as manjishtha, khadir and sariva
* Abhayangam (oil massage) and udhvartan (powder massage) make your skin soft and supple
* Avoid refined foods such as white flour, white rice and processed sugar. And avoid products made with these ingredients. Over-consumption of tea, coffee and colas leads to unattractive skin and premature aging.
Photos: Shutterstock, Thinkstock
From HT Brunch, March 30
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch