Cloudy skies, rain songs, bright umbrellas and cool breezes are only one side of the wet season. The damp, slush, humidity and stagnant water bring troubles too. But they needn't, if you're careful.
At meal times
1. Avoid heavy, acidic, sour and salty foods as they promote water retention, indigestion, hyperacidity and bloating.
2. Avoid deep-fried snacks, junk food and non-vegetarian foods as they increase body heat.
3. Avoid raw salads and leafy vegetables as they may carry worms, bacteria and fungus.
4. Eat out only at clean and hygienic places.
5. Avoid storing excess food in the fridge and eating leftovers.
6. Avoid ice-cream, ice cold water and ice cubes.
7. Eat easily digestible foods, such as steamed dumplings, sautéed vegetables, fruit, moong dal, khichdi and steamed or grilled corn.
8. Use cooling oils and fats for cooking, such as coconut oil, rice bran oil and olive oil.
9. Wash green vegetables and fruits thoroughly.
10. Eat grains harvested last year, not this year.
11. Bitter food balances pitta, so eat karela and herbs like neem, methi and turmeric.
12. Consume ginger, pepper, lemon and sprouted methi seeds as they are good for digestion.
Lifestyle Tips 1. Do not exercise between noon and 4pm and avoid exercises like running and aerobics which increase pitta. Yoga, walking, swimming and Pilates are better.
2. A body massage with sesame oil or coconut oil twice a week keeps you healthy.
3. Balance pitta emotions like anger, frustration and aggression with yoga, meditation and pranayam.
4. To avoid urinary tract infections, wear cotton underwear, avoid tight jeans and clothes, and use personal hygiene products regularly. Make a natural antiseptic bath liquid at home: Crush neem leaves, add water and add this mix to your bath water. Or use a few drops of neem oil in your bath water.
5.Most infections this season are water borne, so use a water purifier, or boil water for at least 10 minutes and filter it.
6. Drink warm water or green tea to improve digestion.
7. In this season, afternoon naps increase kapha energy, which cause fluid retention, lethargy and sinusitis. So stay awake.
8. To check mosquito breeding, avoid storing water without a lid, and sprinkle oil on puddles.
From HT Brunch, July 6
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch