Will Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo be the most different Barjatya film ever?
If you’re a fan of the Barjatya khandaani cult classics, then you’ve got to be asking yourself this question too – could this be the most different Barjatya film ever? *GASP!* Here’s why we think how.brunch Updated: Oct 11, 2015 11:04 IST
Ladies and gentlemen, Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo, the latest magnum opus from the Barjatyas, is coming our way this Diwali! We’re SO glad that our Prem is back. And to see Salman Khan go “Main wapas aa gaya…” in the trailer, we can’t help but weep tears of joy. But then again, the trailer also left us a bit puzzled. If you’re a fan of the Barjatya khandaani cult classics, then you’ve got to be asking yourself this question too – could this be the most different Barjatya film ever? *GASP!* Here’s why we think how:
1. NO ALOK NATH! – The absence of Babuji is just traumatic. We can’t grasp the concept of a Barjatya movie without him. It just feels wrong! How can we get our dose of sanskaar if babuji is not there to tell us what to do?! No sanskaari. Much sad.
2. We see swords! We see swords! Even the notion of violence in a Barjatya movie is insane. So far the biggest villain was the staircase that Renuka Shahane went tumbling down in Hum Aapke Hain Koun..! But now we’ve full blown weapons. And more than one! And Prem is wielding them! Babuji would not approve. (Maybe that’s why he isn’t around? Conspiracy theory alert.)
3. We know mooch nahin toh kuch nahin, but a Prem with a mucchi? Say whaaa?! What happened to chocolate boy chikna Prem who listens to his mummy? Because this Movember-inspired Prem is giving us full adult macho vibes... things nobody could ever accuse a Barjatya fillum of having before.
4. Where are all the scheming aunties?! We’re seriously missing the misguided mothers/aunts/mothers-in-laws/friends of MILs who cause much trouble and then see the light. Dear Barjatyas, please tell us they’re around. Otherwise, it is just no fun. Plotting Aunty > Sword. Always. Don’t tell us you’ve forgotten!
5. Hello, butt smack! So what if it was with a tray and there was no direct hand-to-butt contact, atleast there was a butt smack! And that too Sonam Kapoor (don’t know what she’s called in this one. But don’t care. Coz Prem.) teasingly tapping Prem on his behind... semi-chaste hi sahi, but girl chedo-ing bwoy. Oooooooh!! *whistles*
What is happening in Barjatyaland?! We’re not exactly sure. We’ll wait to see the movie and get back to you on that.
From HT Brunch, October 11
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch