Nestle moves SC to destroy 550 tonnes of recalled Maggi Noodles
Nestle India on Wednesday moved the Supreme Court seeking its nod to destroy about 550 tonnes of recalled stock of Maggi Noodles which have passed shelf life, saying its storage may lead to health hazard at the 39 locations where it is stored in the country.business Updated: Sep 22, 2016 00:45 IST
Nestle India on Wednesday moved the Supreme Court seeking its nod to destroy about 550 tonnes of recalled stock of Maggi Noodles which have passed shelf life, saying its storage may lead to health hazard at the 39 locations where it is stored in the country.
Justices Dipak Misra and C Nagappan agreed to hear the plea on Thursday after it was mentioned by senior advocate Harish Salve saying the food regulator Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) was not opposed to the company’s petition.
Salve said that FSSAI and the company have both agreed to destroy the stock which crossed its shelf life.
The company said that pursuant to withdrawal announcement and ban order on June 5, 2015, Nestle India Ltd had recalled stocks of Maggi Noodles, and till September 1, 2015 destroyed around 38,000 tonnes of Maggi Noodles at incinerators of notified cement plants, keeping in view environmental requirements
The firm said it had 490 tonnes of stock pending destruction and 60 tonnes was received from the market. Hence, 550 tonnes of stock stored in 39 location across the country needed to be destroyed.
On April 5, a Mysore-based government laboratory had given its test report on Maggi noodles in a sealed cover to the apex court.
On January 13, the court had asked the lab to clarify whether test reports relating to lead and glutamic acid in Maggi noodles were within permissible parameters under the law.
While Nestle India, makers of Maggi, had claimed that the lead content was within permissible limits prescribed under the Food Safety Act, the Centre said there was a need for comprehensive findings of all other parameters.
On August 13 last year, the Bombay high court lifted the ban on nine variants of the fast food and asked the company to go for fresh tests.