Friends help Shivinder, Trehan bury the hatchet | business | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Friends help Shivinder, Trehan bury the hatchet

business Updated: May 27, 2007 04:17 IST
Highlight Story

Heart surgeon Naresh Trehan and Escorts Managing Director Shivinder Mohan Singh have officially made up, with more than a little help from their friends in politics and the corporate world.

“A lot of people’s time, energy and interventions were used and the saga that happened over the week has been resolved. We have come to a solution and resolved the issues. It is a closed chapter now,” said Singh.

The amicable, out-of-court settlement was reached on Saturday morning, with Trehan being reinstated as executive director and all legal cases being withdrawn. The “amicable” agreement took the form of a resolution signed by both sides.

Dr Trehan’s second stint as executive director, however, is not in the form of a contract with a time frame. Singh said he could not say how long Trehan would stay with Escorts. “There is no time-frame for Dr Trehan’s contract as executive director. A verbal assurance has been given, but no paper has been exchanged. I cannot take guarantees for how long a doctor will choose to stay or when he will leave,” said Singh.

Singh said both sides sought a solution in the interest of patients and their families. “We have resolved some issues and will sort out the remaining ones as time goes by. Equity owned by both sides is under stay by the Delhi High Court so was not discussed,” said Singh. Trehan owns 10 per cent stake at Escorts, while Fortis Healthcare Limited owns the majority 90 per cent.

Fortis Healthcare Limited had sacked Trehan on May 18, resulting in a week-long exchange of accusations and blame games, which finally ended in a group of doctors supporting Trehan going to the Delhi High Court.

Dr Trehan’s reinstatement apart, all the other administrative changes stand. “There will be no reverting of those. We will request Dr Yatin Mehta, the head of anaesthetics, to take back his resignation, but the other employees who have been sacked will not be re-employed,” said Singh, referring to Dr Trehan’s executive staff Jugal Sharma and KS Sehgal, and business development head Shriram Khattar, who had been stopped from entering the hospital. “Dr Trehan is welcome to bring them to the hospital whenever he wishes, but they will not be re-employed,” said Singh.

With the storm clouds blowing over, it was business as usual at Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre on Saturday.