Indian Railways minister Mamataa Banerjee presented her third annual budget for state-run Indian Railways in parliament on Friday.
Following are highlights from the budget:
* Two wagon units to be set up in conjunction with private partners
* 700 megawatt gas-based captive power plant to be set up
On focus on common man
* "We have taken a two-point approach ... on the one hand by sustainable, efficient and rapidly growing Indian Railways, and on the other, by an acute sense of social responsibility towards the common people of this nation."
* "We have attempted to combine a strong economic focus ... with a human face."
* First coach from Rai Bareli factory in next three months.
* Work on wagon factory in Orissa to begin after land is acquired.
* Railways to set up factory in Jammu and Kashmir.
* To set up Metro coach factory at Singur in West Bengal.
* Manipur to be soon connected to railway network.
* Centre for excellence in software to be set up at Darjeeling.
* Combines strong economic focus along with inclusion.
* Develop business-oriented policies to aid industry.
* Happy to announce through 85 PPP proposals received; set up single-window system to take these forward.
* Decide to set-up rail-based industries.
* Safety first priority; accident rate has come down.
* Decision to start pilot projects to give shelter to homeless people.
* Outlay of 57,630 crore for 2011-12, the highest investment in one year.
* Rs.10,000 crore to be raised through railway bonds.
* Pradhan Mantri Rail Vikas Yojna to be launched.
* Industrial park to be set up in Nandigram, West Bengal.
* Fund to be created for socially desirable projects.
* Earnings for 2010-11 set to exceed Rs.1 lakh crore.
* Integrated suburban network to be set up in Mumbai, Chennai, Ahmedabad and other cities; suburban system of Hyderabad to be strengthened.
* Concession for physically handicapped and gallantry award winners for travel in Rajdhani and Shatabdi expresses.
* 50 percent concession for mediapersons with families to be increased from once to twice a year.
* Mumbai suburban system's EMU coaches to be increased from nine to 12.
* Multi-purpose smart card to be introduced for all-India travel.
* New Durantos to be run on Allahabad-Mumbai, Pune-Ahmedabad, Sealdah-Puri, Secunderabad-Visakhapatnam, Madurai-Chennai routes.
* Working expenditure during 2011-12 estimated at Rs.87,000 crore
* Passing through a difficult phase; 97 percent increase in expenditure due to implementation of Sixth Pay Commission report.
* Loss of Rs.3,500 crore in 2010-11.
* Ten-year backlog of 1.75 lakh jobs being addressed; 16,000 ex-servicemen to be given jobs in railways.
* Airport-like trolleys to be provided at more stations.
* Railways to set up a sports cadre.
* Train to run to Bangladesh to showcase Indian culture.
* Upgraded class of air conditioned travel to be introduced shortly.
* Anti-collision device, successful in North West Frontier Railway, to be extended to three more zonal railways.
* Railways always been a soft target but law and order a state subject. If railways are blocked in one region, this has a snowballing effect in other parts of the country.
* Will add 180 km of rail lines in 2011-12.
* All-India security helpline set up.
* To adopt modern technology through centres of academic excellence.
* Work started on two dedicated freight corridors.
* Work on upgrading 442 stations to be completed by March 31.