India should aim $40 bn gold jewellery exports by 2020: WGC | business | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 21, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

India should aim $40 bn gold jewellery exports by 2020: WGC

India, the world's largest goldconsumer, should target five-folds increase in gold jewellery exports to USD 40 billion by 2020 from the current level of USD 8 billion, according to the World Gold Council.

business Updated: Oct 05, 2014 01:11 IST

India, the world's largest goldconsumer, should target five-folds increase in gold jewellery exports to $40 billion by 2020 from the current level of $8 billion, according to the World Gold Council (WGC).

The country should also put to use about 22,000 tonnes of gold lying idle with households and temples and reduce its dependence on imports in the next five years, it said.

Besides, it should aim creation of 5 million new jobs across the gold value chain manufacturing, retailing, assaying and recycling areas, it added.

"Our vision for gold is that it should be put to work for the economy, creating jobs, developing skills, generating exports and revenues an essential part of the financial, economic and social structure of the country," WGC said in its Vision 2020 for the country.

In the next five years, India should target to be 'jeweller to the world' and gold jewellery exports from here should increase five-fold to $40 billion from the current level of USD 8 billion, it said in a statement.

WGC said that the country should meet 40% of gold demand from its domestic stocks and the rest 60% through imports and mining.

That apart, India should target 75% of gold sold to be standardised and hallmarked in the next five years. It should also provide higher loan to value ratio for hallmarked jewellery and ensure mandatory hallmarking for pieces above a designated selling price, WGC said.

WGC also suggested the government launch ?Karigar welfare scheme? towards skill development and training of artisans and promotion of ?Gold tourism? circuit, showcasing handcrafted Indian jewellery.

"This vision is to outline objectives for the industry that address the savings habit underpinning gold demand, support value addition, increase employment opportunities and benefit the industry in an organised way without curbing supply or impacting the current account deficit," it said.

This will allow the gold trade to operate in a free and transparent manner for the benefit of millions of households and eventually lead to increased economic wealth for the nation, it added.