Nestle starts Maggi noodles production, to hit market after clearance
Nestle, the world’s largest packaged food company, plans to resume sales in India of its Maggi noodles in November, a spokesman for the Swiss group said on Monday.business Updated: Oct 26, 2015 22:43 IST
Swiss giant Nestle on Monday said it has resumed manufacturing of its instant noodles Maggi at three of its India facilities and will hit the markets after getting clearances from food testing laboratories.
The company, which was forced to withdraw Maggi from market and stop production in June following tests by certain labs allegedly finding lead and MSG beyond permissible limits, will send first samples of the fresh batches to three accredited labs for tests.
This is in compliance with the order of Bombay high court.
“We have resumed manufacturing of Maggi Noodles at three of our plants, at Nanjangud (Karnataka), Moga (Punjab) and Bicholim (Goa),” said a Nestle India spokesperson.
He further said: “In compliance with the orders of the High Court of Bombay, fresh samples from these newly manufactured batches will be sent for testing to the three accredited laboratories designated by the High Court.”
The company would start selling in the open market only after the fresh samples are cleared.
Nestle plans to resume sales in India of its Maggi noodles in November, said Reuters, quoting a spokesman for the Swiss group on Monday.
“November is envisaged as the date,” he said. Nestle officials had declined earlier this month to speculate when sales might resume.
On October 16, Nestle had said that all samples of Maggi (old batches) have cleared testing by three laboratories as mandated by the High Court.
“We have received test results from all three laboratories mandated by the Bombay High Court to test Maggi Noodles samples. All the 90 samples, covering six variants, tested by these laboratories are clear with lead much below the permissible limits,” Nestle India had said in a statement.
In June, the FSSAI had banned Maggi noodle product saying it was “unsafe and hazardous” for consumption after finding lead levels beyond permissible limits. The company had withdrawn the instant noodle brand from the market.
Nestle India, which took a hit of Rs 450 crore, including destroying over 30,000 tonnes of the instant noodles since June when it was banned because of alleged excessive lead content, had stated that it would continue with the existing formula of the product and would not change the ingredients.