RBI surplus falls 14.75% in FY14; transfers entire sum to govt

  • None
  • Updated: Aug 21, 2014 22:30 IST

The Reserve Bank on Thursday said its surplus (profit) for the FY'14 fiscal declined 14.75% to Rs 52,679 crore as its interest income from investments in foreign sovereign bonds declined during the year even as its investments increased.

"The year ended with an overall surplus of Rs 52,679 crore, representing a decrease of 14.75% over the previous year," the RBI said in its annual report for the FY'14 fiscal. The central bank follows a July-June fiscal calender.

However, the central bank transfered the entire surplus to the government, making it the largest ever transfer by it.

The RBI's balance sheet size rose 10% to Rs 26,24,400 crore from Rs 23,90,700 crore in the same period last year.

The increase in the asset side was driven mainly by expansion in the foreign currency assets (FCAs), impact of depreciation of the dollar against other major currencies in which the RBI's FCAs are held and depreciation of the rupee against the greenback adjusted for fall in the value of gold reserves on the asset side.

During the year, there was massive fall in the gold value held by RBI, though there was no change in the volume. The RBI holds 557.75 tonnes valued at Rs 1,24,002 crore against Rs 1,28,685 crore.

The increase in the liability side was on account of a rise in currency in circulation and accretion of the currency and gold revaluation account (CGRA), the RBI said.

At the end of the year, the domestic assets constituted 33% of total assets, while foreign assets constituted the remaining 67% as against 36.2% and 63.8%, respectively as on June 30, 2013.

During the year, the RBI's gross income decreased by 13.10% to Rs 64,617 crore. Similarly, its total expenditure fell 4.9% to Rs 11,934 crore from Rs 12,549 crore in the year-ago period.

From Around the Web
Sponsored by Revcontent

also read

25 years of liberalisation: India’s economic reforms wrote the epitaph for these...
Show comments

Steps to disable Ad Blocker on your browser


In order to serve content on our website, we rely on advertising revenue which helps us to ensure that we continue to serve high quality unbiased journalism. From our end, we will aim to show clean and unobtrusive ads to provide you with a great browsing experience.

Request to please follow the steps below and once done, please refresh your page.


For Chrome and Ad BlockPlus users

1.Press the ‘ABP’ icon in your toolbar at top right of this page

2. Click on ‘Enabled on this site’; this should now change to ‘Disabled on this site’


chrome



For Chrome and Ad Block users

1.Press the ‘AdBlock’ icon in your toolbar

2.Select the option ‘Don’t run on pages on this domain’ and then click ‘exclude’ on the pop up


chrome

Steps to disable Ad Blocker on your browser


In order to serve content on our website, we rely on advertising revenue which helps us to ensure that we continue to serve high quality unbiased journalism. From our end, we will aim to show clean and unobtrusive ads to provide you with a great browsing experience.

Request to please follow the steps below and once done, please refresh your page.


For Mozilla and AdBlock Plus (ABP) users

1.Press the ‘ABP’ icon in your toolbar

2.Select the option ‘Disable on hindustantimes.com’


chrome

Steps to disable Ad Blocker on your browser


In order to serve content on our website, we rely on advertising revenue which helps us to ensure that we continue to serve high quality unbiased journalism. From our end, we will aim to show clean and unobtrusive ads to provide you with a great browsing experience.

Request to please follow the steps below and once done, please refresh your page.


For Internet Explorer and AdBlock Plus users

1.Press the ‘AdBlock Plus’ icon in your status bar at the bottom of the screen

2.Select the option ‘Disable on hindustantimes.com’


chrome

Steps to disable Ad Blocker on your browser


In order to serve content on our website, we rely on advertising revenue which helps us to ensure that we continue to serve high quality unbiased journalism. From our end, we will aim to show clean and unobtrusive ads to provide you with a great browsing experience.

Request to please follow the steps below and once done, please refresh your page.


For Safari and AdBlock users

1.Press the ‘AdBlock’ icon in your toolbar

2.Select the option ‘Don't run pages on this domain’ and then click 'exclude'


chrome