Reliance makes two more gas discoveries | business | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 25, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Reliance makes two more gas discoveries

Reliance Industries Limited announces two new gas discoveries, one each on the east coast and the west coast of the country, reports Deepak Joshi.

business Updated: May 15, 2007 20:15 IST
Deepak Joshi

Reliance Industries has made two natural gas discoveries, one each on the east and west coasts.

The company made its 18th discovery in the prolific KG-D6 block (KG-DWN-98/3) in the Krishna-Godavari basin off the east coast, when well KG-D6-R1 encountered two gas-bearing zones, the company said in a statement on Tuesday.

Reliance is the operator of the block with 90 per cent interest, while Niko Resources of Canada holds the remaining 10 per cent. Currently, their joint venture is developing India's first deep-water gas production facility for the Dhirubhai 1 and 3 fields, targeting the first gas output in the second half of 2008.

In addition, RIL also announced a discovery in the well GS01 B1 in block GS-OSN-97/1, off the west coast in the Gujarat-Saurashtra basin. This is a significant discovery for Reliance in the west coast carbonate regime. The well GS01 B1is the fifty-first exploratory well drilled by Reliance and was drilled at a water depth of 78 metres and to a total depth of 2,282 metres.

This well has been notified to the DGH and concerned authorities as a new discovery, namely Dhirubhai 33, which is RIL's first discovery in carbonate reservoirs in the West coast. This shallow water block was awarded to the consortium of RIL (90 per cent) and Hardy Exploration (10 per cent) under the New Exploration and Licensing Policy's (NELP) second round of bidding.

The commercial viability of the latest explorations is still being examined.

Reliance officials say the recent discoveries demonstrate the further upside potential of the blocks in the Krishna-Godavari basin and opens up a new corridor in Gujarat - Saurashtra basin for future exploration.
Reliance Industries said KG-D6-R1 in the east coast was its 50th exploration well in the country. "This well is the 23rd exploratory well drilled in block KG-D6... This well has been notified to the DGH and concerned authorities as a new discovery, namely Dhirubhai-34, which is the 18th discovery in this block," Reliance said.