RIL discovers gas in Mahanadi basin block | business | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 22, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

RIL discovers gas in Mahanadi basin block

Reliance Industries has made a new gas discovery in its Mahanadi basin block, the eighth find in the block that lies off the Orissa coast.

business Updated: Feb 26, 2008 20:44 IST

Reliance Industries has made a new gas discovery in its Mahanadi basin block, the eighth find in the block that lies off the Orissa coast.

The discovery has been named 'Dhirubhai40' and "notified to Government of India and DGH. RIL is currently evaluating the potential commercial interest of the discovery through additional data collection and analysis," a company press release said in New Delhi.

"This discovery establishes the hydrocarbon potential towards the deeper part of NEC-Mahanadi Basin and opens up more acreage for further hydrocarbon exploration efforts."

The shallow water block NEC-OSN-97/2 or NEC-25, covering an area of 10,755 sq km in water depths ranging between 20-600 meters was awarded to Reliance and Niko Resources of Canada in the first bid round under New Exploration Licensing Policy (NELP) in 1999. Reliance has 90 per cent interest while Niko the remaining 10 per cent.

Reliance had earlier struck six consecutive commercial discoveries in this block, for which the development plan has been submitted to the Directorate General of Hydrocarbons (DGH) for approval, the release said.

Well NEC 25-J1 was drilled drilled at a water depth of 478 meter to the target depth of 2926 meter. "For the first time in this basin, the well encountered high quality multi-darcy gas bearing reservoir sands in the interval 2484- 2495.5 meters based on the interpretation of the wire-line logs. Subsequently, the presence of gas in the above interval was confirmed by carrying out Modular Dynamic Testing (MDT)," it added.