Sony is unlikely to meet its self imposed deadline to restore the PlayStation Network and other online services after a security breach affected more than 100 million accounts, it said on Saturday.
Sony shut down the network and the Qriocity music streaming service on April 20, to investigate the hack and secure them from future attacks, and said last Sunday that it would begin restoring them within a week.
But, a statement on Saturday read, "The company is taking time to strengthen the protection and coding of data, in addition to building necessary surveillance functions for actualising higher security." "The company will resume the services in stages in different regions after assuring (the) safety of customers," it added in a statement.
Last month's intrusion resulted in the theft of names, email addresses and possibly credit card information from Sony's online platforms. The company later said its Sony Online Entertainment platform was also hit.
Sony said it would offer US PlayStation Network and Qriocity users free membership for 12 months, in a deal that would include a $1 million per user insurance policy against identity theft.
It added it was working to make similar programmes available elsewhere.
The breach is a blow for Sony as it focuses on pushing content such as games and music through hardware platforms including game consoles, smartphones and tablet computers amid competition from Apple's iTunes and App store.