Mumbai port will resume normal operations by Sunday, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh told parliament on Tuesday.
India's busiest port, was shut down after a weekend collision of two cargo ships off Mumbai's coast, triggering an oil spill and hurtling containers into the shipping channel. Ramesh said leakage of oil from the ships had been contained.
A senior port official had said earlier in the day that the port would resume operations on Thursday.
“It was decided in a meeting on Tuesday that port operations will be suspended until the 12th (August),” said an official, who did not want to be named. “There will not be any vessel movement for another two days. Containers are being removed now.”
Scores of containers had been flung overboard after the collision, making navigation difficult. The Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust handled more than 60.7 million tonnes of container traffic in 2009-10, a 6 per cent rise compared with the previous year. Authorities hope to clear the harbour of the containers within two to three days, the Ministry of Shipping said.