Timeline - Key dates in India's Ambani brothers' dispute
Indian billionaire Anil Ambani's call for an end to a bitter feud with his elder brother Mukesh over the split of the family business empire is unlikely to lead to a resolution ahead of hearing next week in their ongoing battle over gas supplies, analysts said.business Updated: Nov 04, 2009 13:05 IST
Indian billionaire Anil Ambani's call for an end to a bitter feud with his elder brother Mukesh over the split of the family business empire is unlikely to lead to a resolution ahead of hearing next week in their ongoing battle over gas supplies, analysts said.
Following is a timeline of key dates in the Ambani rift.
July 2002 - Dhirubhai Ambani, a school teacher's son and founder of the Reliance business empire, dies. Mukesh Ambani
becomes chairman and managing director of Reliance Industries Ltd and Anil Ambani is made vice-chairman.
* November 2004 - Feud between the brothers becomes public.
* June 2005 - Family reaches a settlement to split the Reliance group in a deal brokered by their homemaker mother,
* 2006 - Formal split takes place, with Mukesh taking control of flagship Reliance Industries, with interests in
petrochemicals, oil and gas exploration, refining and textiles.
He has since launched a retail venture. The Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group gets telecoms, power, entertainment and financial services. The Group includes Reliance Communications Ltd, Reliance Infrastructure Ltd, Reliance Capital Ltd, Reliance Natural Resources Ltd (RNRL) and Reliance Power Ltd.
* July 2008 - Reliance Communications calls off merger talks with South Africa's MTN after Mukesh makes a claim on the shares of Anil's telecom firm.
* June 15, 2009 - Mumbai High Court directs Reliance Industries and Reliance Natural to enter a gas supply agreement
within a month.
* July 1, 2009 - Reliance Industries says will appeal to the Supreme Court against High Court ruling.
* July 19, 2009 - Indian government steps into the legal dispute, filing petition in the Supreme Court saying the gas is its property.
* July 20, 2009 - The Supreme Court does not exclude the government from the proceedings. Court says will hear case on
Aug. 28, 2009 - The Supreme Court website lists case hearing on Oct. 20.
November 4, 2009: Justice RV Raveendran, a senior SC judge withdraws from the Bench hearing it saying his daughter is associated with a solicitors firm advising Mukesh Ambani group on other global projects.