3 storey warehouse gutted in Manimajra fire

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: Dec 20, 2014 09:04 IST

A three-storey building, which was being used as a godown, was destroyed in a major fire that broke out in the city's congested Manimajra area on Friday night.

Though no casualties were reported, the godown in the residential area was completely gutted. The godown was reportedly of a crockery shop, but had plastic stacked on each floor. A part of the roof and wall of the building had collapsed before the fire spread to nearby houses and a shop.

Police sources said the fire was sparked by a short circuit and spread to nearby houses by midnight.

The power supply to the area was snapped and 10 fire-tenders were pressed into service to control the blaze. The entire Morigate area of Manimajra has been evacuated as a precautionary measure.

Residents alleged delay in the arrival of fire tenders. Meanwhile, reaching the site was a tough task due to the narrow lanes in the area.

The fire was first noticed by a resident at about 9:35 pm, who informed the fire station. As per the residents, the fire tender reached at around 10 pm.

Eyewitness also reported two blasts in the building before the walls and the two roofs started caving in. As per the reports the godown is owned by one Pawan Goyal.

also read

Councillor’s report card: A tongue-tied man, a job half-done
Show comments