3 suffocate to death at Kharar farmhouse | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

3 suffocate to death at Kharar farmhouse

chandigarh Updated: Jan 05, 2015 10:10 IST
HT Correspondent

Three men suffocated to death after inhaling carbon monoxide from an anghiti (traditional brazier) lying in the room they were sleeping at an under-construction farmhouse in Kharar on Saturday night. Their bodies were recovered on Sunday morning.

According to information, the farmhouse is in Pakki Rurki village on the Kharar-Morinda road and the three who died were involved in laying marble on the floor at the farmhouse.

The victims have been identified as Omveer and Gautam, both residents of Rajasthan, and Manoj, a resident of Bihar.

The bodies were first seen by farmhouse caretaker Kuldip Singh, who told the police that the farmhouse was nearing completion and the trio lived in a small room at the farmhouse only.

Kuldip said on Sunday morning, he called out for the trio but when no one answered, he went to their room and started knocking. When no one answered after repeated knocks, he peeped inside the room from a vent and saw the trio sleeping in a peculiar way.

He got suspicious and called Jatinder Singh, owner of the farmhouse who lives in Ludhiana. Jatinder asked Kuldip to call the police.

Pakki Rurki police station incharge Surjit Singh reached the spot with his team and broke open the door and recovered the bodies. A brazier with burnt wood was recovered from the room.

Surjit said it appeared to be a case of death due to inhaling carbon monoxide. He said they had recovered a diary from one of the deceased which had some phone numbers. Based on the phone numbers, relatives were informed.

Meanwhile, the bodies of the deceased have been kept in the mortuary at the civil hospital in Phase 6, SAS Nagar.

Surjit further added that investigations were on and further action would be taken only after relatives of the deceased come for identification.