400 shops gutted in fire | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

400 shops gutted in fire

chandigarh Updated: Jun 01, 2007 12:14 IST

PTI
Highlight Story

About 400 shops were gutted in a major fire on Friday in a market in Mohali which houses a number of garment kiosks.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known, fire brigade officials said, adding it may have been caused due to a short circuit.

Since majority of the shops dealt in garment trade, the fire spread quickly, they said.

The gas cylinders of eating kiosks in the market added to the fire as they bursted and swung into the air, eyewitnesses said.

Fire tenders were summoned from Chandigarh, Ropar, Dera Bassi and nearby towns which brought the fire under control, they said.