The mercury continued to head north on Monday as the city's maximum temperature touched 42.9°Celsius (C), five degrees above normal.
The searing hit kept most city residents indoors throughout the day. Even the minimum temperature, at 26.4°C, was three degrees above normal.
The heat wave is expected to intensify and the meteorological department has said that warm winds blowing at 3-4 km/hour for the next few days will further push the mercury up by a couple of degrees.
The rise in maximum temperature will be accompanied by dust storms in the region.
“Yes. The temperatures will rise during the next few days. The states of Punjab and Haryana will face heat wave conditions, which might intensify,” said Surinder Paul, director of the metrological centre in Chandigarh that monitors the temperature of the region, including Punjab and Haryana.
He advised city residents to brace for a more intense heat wave. “Conditions are likely to worsen, city residents should prepared themselves,” he said.
Given its vicinity to the Shivalik range, the weather in Chandigarh continues to be cooler than that in Haryana and Punjab.
At a maximum temperature of 45.4°C, Amritsar was the hottest city in Punjab on Monday, while, at 46°C, Hisar was the worst hit by the heat wave in Haryana.
BEATING THE HEAT
With the heat wave likely to intensify, city residents should prepare themselves for the heat wave by taking these steps.
* Drink cool, non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated beverages
* It's best to avoid extremely cold liquids because they can cause stomach cramps
* Drink water regularly throughout the day, even if you don't feel thirsty. Once you recognise the feeling of thirst, dehydration is already taking place
* Some medicines make you more vulnerable to heat stroke. Painkillers can mask some symptoms of heat exhaustion, and laxatives can increase the risk of dehydration. If you have any questions about prescription or over-the-counter medications, check with a doctor
* Rest often. If you need an excuse to stay indoors and laze around, hot days are the best time
* Take a cool shower
* Wear lightweight clothing
* Do not engage in strenuous activities