43-year-old man's body found in nullah

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: Jul 17, 2014 23:28 IST

Decomposed body of a 43-year-old man, whose face was unrecognisable and body eaten by animals, was found in a nullah under a bridge on the diving road of Sector 16 and 23 on Thursday. The victim has been identified as Krishan Kumar, a resident of Khuda Lahora, whose family alleged that he was murdered. Krishan was working with a courier company and was also into selling products. Earlier, he was an agent with a private investment company.

A gardener, working in the area, informed the police control room after he saw a body lying in the nullah. The body was found face down in the nullah and the police claimed that the victim was pushed in the nullah.

The police have initiated inquest proceedings in the matter under section 174 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC).

Sector 17 station house officer (SHO) Dilsher Singh said, "There are no injury marks on the victim's body, but the picture will be clear after the post-mortem report."

The police said Kumar went missing on July 15, and his family had lodged a missing complaint at the Sector 11 police station.

Victim's wife Prema Devi said, "My husband left home on Tuesday morning for attending a court case. In the afternoon, he went to meet a friend in Dera Bassi, and called me around 9pm saying that he will be back soon, but abruptly disconnected the phone."

Prema claimed that she kept trying Kumar's number since then, but it came switched off. After that she filed a missing complaint with the police. She said they were to go to Mumbai the next day.

Giving details of Kumar's background, his relative Sunil Rana said he was working as an agent with a private investment company named ATRS. Kumar had got money invested of many city residents in the company. But, the company officials ran away after closing down their office in Sector 9 in 2011 and since then residents have been calling Kumar for their money.

Prema also accused former colleagues Kavi Malik and Suman Lata, who used to handle all investments, of killing her husband. She also alleged that they used to threaten Kumar.

The victim's eldest daughter Monica alleged that her father colleagues Kavi and Suman were embezzling with money when the company was about to be closed.

The family also claimed that they received a call from the victim's number on Wednesday and somebody said that Kumar was in Madhya Pradesh and was attending a meeting.

The police are making efforts to trace the victim's car, in which he had left home. They are also scanning the closed-circuit television camera footage of the routes leading to Sector 16 to track the car.

Kumar is survived by wife, three daughters and a son. His body has been kept at the Government Multi-Speciality Hospital in Sector 16, where his autopsy will be conducted on Friday.

The victim was also booked in a kidnapping case in 2011. Suman had herself had sat in his car and stated alleging kidnap. When Kumar took her to a traffic cop and told him that she sat in the car herself, the cop booked him instead for trying to kidnap her. He was, however, acquitted in the case.

also read

Councillor’s report card: Heera Negi tried, but failed to stir officials up
Show comments