The police have charged seven people accused of destroying meat shops in Phase 6 in SAS Nagar on Wednesday. They have been identified as Ramesh Dutt, Chandar Sharma, Manoj Kumar, Sarabjit Singh, Joginder Mehta and Rahul.
The police have filed a case under section 427 (mischief causing damage), 341 (wrongful restraint), 283 (danger or obstruction in public way), 506 (criminal intimidation), 147 (rioting) and 149 (unlawful assembly) of the Indian Penal Code.
In his complaint lodged with the police, Ajit Singh, a resident of Palsora village in Chandigarh who owned some of these shops, alleged Dutt together with his accomplices destroyed the meat shops without any reason. He added talks on relocating the shops with representatives of the local market association were already in progress.
On Tuesday the deputy commissioner had asked the municipal corporation and the estate officer to finalise the plan on moving meat markets and dairies out of the city.
Additional GMADA chief administrator Navjot Kaur said, "As the area in which most of the meat shops are located adjoins Chandigarh, a boundary wall is being built to avoid confusion over jurisdiction. The MC commissioner has also been instructed to remove any unauthorized meat shop
in the city."
Meanwhile, MC commissioner Oma Shankar Gupta said the civic body had already decided to shift meat shops to the city's periphery. "However, it will take at least a year to make all the arrangements before relocating them," he said.