After tense night, cops can breathe easy again | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

After tense night, cops can breathe easy again

chandigarh Updated: Nov 21, 2014 10:22 IST
Gurpreet Singh Chhina
Gurpreet Singh Chhina
Hindustan Times

The journey of the Chandigarh Police from chaos to being relaxed could be seen on their faces after 3pm when the Haryana Police took away Hisar sect leader Rampal after producing him in the Punjab and Haryana high court on Thursday.

Visibly upbeat cops were also seen enjoying evening at the auditorium of Moti Ram Arya Senior Secondary School, Sector 27, where famous Sufi singer Lakhwinder Singh Wadali was performing. Not only Chandigarh cops, but also a team of Rapid Action Force (RAP) was also present to relax themselves at the musical evening organised by the Chandigarh Police in the ongoing police week programme.

On a visit to the high court around noon, heavy force was seen deployed in and around the area. The cops were on their toes.
While interacting with the cops, they narrated their tale of last night since the Haryana police had arrested Rampal.

SSP Sukhchain Singh Gill said around 3,500 Chandigarh Police personnel were pressed into duties immediately to maintain law and order situation in the city.

A senior official said a message from the police control room was flashed around 10 pm on Wednesday that it had been learnt that Haryana Police were bringing Rampal to Chandigarh and around 300 cops were immediately rushed to Government Medical College and Hospital(GMCH), Sector 32, where they remained deployed till 1 am. He added that when they got to know that the police had taken Rampal to General Hospital in Panchkula they got off.

He further said the moment they reached home, various senior officers started calling them to chalk out plan for Thursday as security had to be beefed up before 10am in and around the HC.

There was a fear that supporters could gather and create ruckus.

An official deployed with the Indian Reserve Battalion (IRB) said it was very chaotic till 1am last night as they were kept on toes for maintaining law and order situation.

He said then the senior officers called them to report at 4am on Thursday morning as they would be deployed at high court at sharp 5am.

He said they could neither sleep nor relax as calls from various control rooms of the police department kept informing them about the duty timings.

Meanwhile, one of the station house officers, on the condition of anonymity, said at 6am he was deputed at the railway sta-tion because on November 5, the supporters came to the city by trains and created chaos in the city.

While addressing audience at the musical evening, IGP RP Upadhyaya appreciated the efforts of the Chandigarh Police and said no leave was grant-ed to any official for the past one month, adding that the determination of cops was also acknowledged by the senior officers.

However, with the next hearing in the case slated from November 28, UT cops will again have to remain on their toes.