Area around Manimajra building that caught fire vacated
A day after a three-storey building housing a plastic goods store caught fire at Manimajra, the fire department on Saturday vacated the surrounding area, including the adjoining houses, stating it may collapse anytime.chandigarh Updated: Dec 20, 2014 21:51 IST
A day after a three-storey building housing a plastic goods store caught fire at Manimajra, the fire department on Saturday vacated the surrounding area, including the adjoining houses, stating it may collapse anytime.
A fire tender was also deputed there.
Fire officer SK Gosain said, "Since the building may collapse anytime, we have asked the residents to vacate the area. The upper floors of the building are completely damaged."
Officials said three fire tenders were deployed on Saturday morning as flames kept erupting in the building till evening.
Walls of some of the adjoining houses have developed cracks, it was learnt.
Gaurav Gupta, a local resident, said, "A part of our house has been badly damaged. We have vacated that part. We are really worried. If the fire department asks us to vacate the house, where will we go?"
A fire official said their engineers are probing the incident and further action will be taken accordingly.
No one was harmed in the incident.Eyewitnesses said they heard two blasts in the building before the walls and roof started caving in.
On Saturday, electricity supply to the area was snapped and 10 fire tenders were pressed into service to control the flames. Narrow lanes in the locality proved to be a hurdle for fire tenders to execute their work.