Army starts proceedings against Pathribal encounter accused | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 22, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Army starts proceedings against Pathribal encounter accused

The army has initiated disciplinary proceedings against the army officers accused in the Pathribal fake encounter case. All witnesses examined by the CBI during its investigation will now be summoned to appear before the officer recording the summary of evidence. After the summary of evidence is recorded, the final chargesheet will be prepared for the next stage of proceedings.

chandigarh Updated: Sep 21, 2012 22:00 IST

The army has initiated disciplinary proceedings against the army officers accused in the Pathribal fake encounter case.


The Supreme Court had in May had said the army should decide in next eight weeks if officers accused of a fake encounter in Pathribal should be tried by court-martial proceedings or by regular criminal courts.

The apex court had also said if the army decided against court martial, then the central government should decide if it wanted to grant sanction for the prosecution of the army officers accused in the case. The proceedings started Thursday evening at 16 Corps headquarters at Nagrota.

The army had taken over the case from chief judicial magistrate, Srinagar, and thereafter attached these officers to its 16 Corps headquarters. Lt Gen AS Nandal, GOC of 16 Corps, in the capacity of commanding officer, heard the charges by the CBI against officers and directed for summary of evidence to be recorded against them.

CBI inspector Ashok Kalra, who had investigated the case, presented evidence and also produced the 'challan' which had been filed by the CBI. All witnesses examined by the CBI during its investigation will now be summoned to appear before the officer recording the summary of evidence. After the summary of evidence is recorded, the final chargesheet will be prepared for the next stage of proceedings.

On the aspect of change of location of the court-martial proceedings, the army spokesperson said GOC 15 Corps had contested the case on the behalf of the accused at the Supreme Court, as victims families had said disciplinary proceedings be conducted by another commander.

At least 35 people were killed by terrorists in March 2000. After the incident, seven people were allegedly killed by the army. Their bodies were exhumed after large local protests. It was found that they were civilians an not terrorists.