As 15 diners land in hospital, top restaurant in dock | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

As 15 diners land in hospital, top restaurant in dock

chandigarh Updated: Sep 30, 2013 01:01 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Two days after 15 people who dined at Barbeque Nation in Phase 5 of SAS Nagar fell sick with nausea and vomiting bouts, and had to be rushed to hospital, the police on Sunday registered a case against some staff of the restaurant for serving adulterated food. The food and drug safety department has also issued a notice to the restaurant's owners and staff for not following norms of sanitation and hygiene.

Phase-1 police station house officer (SHO) Dharampal said, "The case has been registered on the complaint of Abhishek Tandon, a resident of Sector 68, who had gone to celebrate his birthday on September 27 at the restaurant and fell ill." Tandon told HT that his daughter had fallen ill.

The SHO added, "The case has been registered under sections 272 (adulteration of food or drink intended for sale), 273 (sale of noxious food or drink), 337 and 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) of the Indian Penal Code. We are investigating as to who was responsible."

Speaking to HT, food and drug safety commissioner Hussan Lal said, "A notice has been issued to the restaurant for not following proper norms. They do not have proper ventilation for the release of carbon monoxide that is released from the grills they place on every table [as part of their concept]. We have given them 14 days to act."

SAS Nagar civil surgeon Dr Rajiv Bhalla told HT that reports of the food samples taken from the restaurant on September 27 would give more details "All the patients have been discharged after being treated for nausea, giddiness and vomiting," he added.

Speaking to HT, Tandon, who filed the police complaint, said, "It was my birthday and I had gone to the restaurant with 15 people, my family and friends, to celebrate. But after having the starters and snacks, my daughter and three other children fainted. They were taken to private hospitals where they were kept in the intensive care units (ICU)."

However, Shakti Singh, business manager of Barbeque Nation, said, "It was not food poisoning. The problem was because of the carbon monoxide from the grills placed on tables. We have called a maintenance meeting and will ensure the ventilation is proper now."