The Regional Disease Diagnostic Laboratory in Jalandhar, on Friday, cleared the air around the mysterious death of 300 crows in Tarn Taran, declaring that the death was due to toxicity.
It was about a week ago that about 300 crows had died at Baghiari village near Tarn Taran that is close to a bird sanctuary at Sarai Amanat Khan.
The stomach content samples have tested positive for some poisonous content and a final report is being prepared. Earlier, the lab had tested the crow samples negative for avian flu. Also, as per reports from the lab, the samples from Jind and Pinjore in Haryana have also tested negative for avian flu. HS Sandha, director of animal husbandry, Punjab, confirmed the report and said the crows must have consumed the poisonous substance through insecticides or weedicide-laden water present in the fields. Sandha said, “We have got the report from the Jalandhar lab which has tested the samples positive for toxicity. The kind of toxicity is yet to be ascertained but the reports confirm poison depositions in the stomach content.”
The reports from the National Institute of High Security Animal Diseases (NIHSAD) in Bhopal and Animal Disease Research Centre based in Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Science University (GADVASU), Ludhiana, are awaited. The samples were sent to Bhopal to test them for avian flu while those of stomach content were sent to the Ludhiana university.
With the reports out, the Punjab government and residents can breathe easy for some time. The samples from Jind and Pinjore in Haryana having tested negative for avian flu too is reason for residents to be relieved.
“None of the samples sent from either Punjab or Haryana to Jalandhar and Bhopal has tested positive for avian flu so far.
Substantial samples have been tested and the reports do not hint at any outbreak,” added Sandha.