Beas Tragedy: Three Larji officials arrested, released

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mandi
  • |
  • Updated: Jul 02, 2014 15:32 IST

The Aut police on Tuesday arrested three officials of the Himachal Pradesh State Electricity Board (HPSEB) who were booked in connection with the June-8 Beas tragedy in which 24 engineering students from Hyderabad and a tour operator were washed away in the Beas river after sudden release of water from nearby 126-MW Larji hydropower project.


Resident engineer, Larji hydropower project, Mandeep Singh; executive engineer (civil) Mahender Singh Dhadwalia and operator Harbans Lal were arrested. The police released the trio on bail after recording their statement at Aut police station in Mandi district.

Twenty-five people, including 24 vacationing students of Hyderabad-based VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology, were swept away in Beas river at Thalout near Mandi town on Sunday, June 8, after the Larji project authorities allegedly released water without prior warning.

The Aut police had registered a case under Sections 336 (act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 304-A (causing death by negligence) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against the Larji power project authorities on June 10.

The three officials are currently under suspension.

Meanwhile, rescue teams on Tuesday recovered one more body of a student. The victim has been identified as Baswraj Sandeep, son of B Veeresh, hailing from Hyderabad.

With this, the number of bodies recovered so far has reached to 21. His bloated body was found floating near the Pandoh reservoir.

The body was identified by VNR institute officials who are camping in Mandi. It has been sent to Andhra Bhawan in Delhi after post mortem.

Four people, including three students, two of them girls and a co-tour operator are still missing.
Mandi deputy commissioner Devesh Kumar said the administration has decided to continue search operation for next three days.

“We are hoping to recover the remaining four bodies in the next three days and the search operation will continue till then,” said Kumar.

 

also read

AFT gets defence ministry to implement 250 verdicts

blog comments powered by Disqus