CBSE Class X exam: Girls outshine boys | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 23, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

CBSE Class X exam: Girls outshine boys

The result of Central Board of Secondary Education Class X exam was declared today, with girls once again surging ahead of the boys compared to last year in the overall pass percentage. "Last year, the total pass percentage was 98.4% whereas this year the total pass percentage increased by 0.4% bringing it to 98.8%. And this time also, girls in the region outnumbered the boys by 0.1%," said RJ Khanderao, CBSE, regional officer.

chandigarh Updated: May 24, 2012 23:00 IST
Eileen Singh

The result of Central Board of Secondary Education Class X exam was declared on Thursday, with girls once again surging ahead of the boys as compared to last year in the overall pass percentage. "Last year, the total pass percentage was 98.4% whereas this year the total pass percentage increased by 0.4% bringing it to 98.8%. And this time also, girls in the region outnumbered the boys by 0.1%," said RJ Khanderao, CBSE, regional officer.


In 2011, the pass percentage of girls was 99.3% that increased to 99.4% in 2012, while the boys pass percentage in 2011 was 98.4% and it came up by 0.4% to 98.8%.

"The overall result from the region comprising Haryana, Punjab, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesha and Jammu and Kashmir is very good and the girls have aced the examinations. This year, a total of 1,64,504 students from the region had appeared and 1,61,252 passed the exam. This is a good year where the students have shown good results," added Khanderao.

On who did better, the CBSE or school board, the regional officer said, "The students have been awarded for their answers and the examiners were not given any school details," sad the regional officer.

"Jawahar Navodaya's pass percentage increased this year. Last year, it was 98.92% and this year it is 99.58%. However, Kendriya Vidyalaya saw a little drop from last year, as it recorded a pass percentage of 98.9% against 99.5% last year.

"The pass percentage of government schools, meanwhile, remained the same at 98.84% and there was an increase in the pass percentage of independent schools from 98.71% last year to 99.71% this year," said Khanderao.