Theatre artist Zulfiqar Khan had been sexually exploiting some students of his NGO Theatre Age since 2002, submitted the police in the challan filed before a local court in Chandigarh on Tuesday.
Zulfiqar, director of Theatre Age, who is behind bars since his arrest in July, sexually exploited at least five youngsters, including a minor, in the last about 12 years.
“We had left his NGO but Zulfiqar approached us with the assurance that he would not repeat what he had been doing to us. So, we joined the group again, but he didn’t refrain from his misdeeds,” one of the victims has been quoted in the challan.
The five victims, including a minor, who have recorded their statements before the police, one has claimed that Zulfiqar was sodomising him since 2002, while other claimed that he was getting victimised since 2007. Another victim said he was being sexually exploited since 2009.
Reliving tales of horrors, the victims had told the court that they left Zulfiqar’s NGO in protest against his misdeeds, but accused again took them in confidence and made them to join the group with assurance to mend his ways. They said when Zulfiqar did not restrain himself from his ghastly acts, they decided to raise their voices.
The challan has been filed under Sections 377 (unnatural offences), 292 (sale, etc., of obscene books, etc), 506 (punishment for criminal intimidation) of the IPC; and Section 8 and 5 of the POCSO Act. If convicted under Section 377 of the IPC, the accused may have to face life imprisonment.
Zulfiqar Khan was arrested on July 11 for allegedly having unnatural sex with his students on the basis of a complaint of Kanwarpal, a former student-cum-associate of Zulfiqar.
The police have submitted the 360-page challan, carrying the statements of the victims, spelling out the torturous tales of sexual exploitation. The challan lists 34 witnesses, including police officials, doctors, five complainants and a magistrate.
CFSL report awaited
The police are yet to receive the CFSL report with regard to the authenticity of the pictures allegedly showing Zulfiqar committing the crime. This is one of the most crucial evidence against him. The report would be filed later by the police.
No mention of the mobile phone used for clicking pictures
Even though the police had initially claimed that the pictures exposing Zulfiqar were clicked by the victims through a phone, the police failed to recover the phone despite making efforts. The police are now relying on the statements of the witnesses. The police claimed the phone had been destroyed by the accused.