CHB allows changes, owners cheer
The UT administration has finally notified the 40 need-based changes approved for Chandigarh Housing Board houses. The residents have been given a six-month period to make these approved changes and those who have already made the changes will have to inform the board within the time period.chandigarh Updated: Aug 05, 2012 10:49 IST
The UT administration has finally notified the 40 need-based changes approved for Chandigarh Housing Board (CHB) houses. The residents have been given a six-month period beginning now to make these approved changes and those who have already made the changes will have to inform the board within the time period.
It's been over two years that the board approved these changes. However, the proposal was shuttling between the board and the administration for the final approval and the notification. CHB in its last board meeting in June had decided to send the final 40 approved need based changes to administration for a final notification.
Talking to the Hindustan Times, finance secretary VK Singh said: "Informally, the changes had been approved but final approval has come now. We were going through the changes and since the administration has satisfied itself about the changes, it has notified them."
The FS informed that there are 13 other changes that were being demanded by the residents and the same were awaiting a final call of the CHB.
This final notification from the administration is definitely a reason to cheer for the city residents, as though many had already made the changes, the same were considered illegal. A senior official from CHB said: "There was still a dilemma whether the administration would approve the proposed changes or still make further modifications to the same. With the administration notifying them now, the changes will get a legal standing."
Even though illegal, more than 48,000 houses have already made these changes. During the six-month period, those who have already made the changes will be able to pay the compounding fee and those interested in making the alterations, can do so after intimating the board. Beyond this period, any alterations will be considered as violations and action would be initiated against such residents. Presently, the CHB dwelling units are in Sectors 38 (West), 40, 41, 43, 44, 46, 47, Modern Housing Complex (Phase-III) besides duplex dwelling units in Sectors 29, 40, 41 and 47.
Major changes allowed
- Residents can alter the windows and doors. Steel grills in veranda have been allowed, though the same should not interfere with the light and ventilation of the adjacent room. This can be done to increase security in the houses.
- The residents can create a car park area by covering the front courtyard using fiberglass roof. Also, the car and scooter garage can be converted into a store, but only for personal use.
- The residents can also cover balconies wherever uncovered, again using fiberglass material.
- It has allowed underground PVC water tank within the building line and structural stability of the house and the adjoining house.
- A three-foot balcony has been allowed on the façade and rear of a house where no terrace exists.