Cigarette butt sparks fire, 68-yr-old killed

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Kurali
  • Updated: Nov 17, 2014 12:50 IST

A 68-year-resident of ward number 10 in Kurali was burnt alive in a fire sparked by a cigarette butt that he threw on his bed before going to sleep on Saturday night.

The deceased, Rajinder Kumar, was staying alone in the house for the past several years and was a chain smoker, said Harpal Singh, station house officer (city), Kurali.

Neighbours saw smoke emitting from Rajinder’s room and rushed to his rescue, only to find him charred to death.

“It seems, he threw a cigarette butt on the bed, which caused the fire. The deceased is also said to have been under depression,” the SHO said.

The police have started investigation in the case.

also read

Councillor’s report card: A tongue-tied man, a job half-done
Show comments